Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!

As the only At-Large woman to serve in Philadelphia City Council since 2000, I am unapologetic about speaking out on behalf of women and girls in Philadelphia.  It is not lost on me however, that young men in Philadelphia are equally as important to the future of the City and the world as our young women. Father’s Day struck me as a terrific opportunity to share thoughts from my friend, Rev. David Brown.  

I admire Rev. Brown because he has raised two amazing daughters, but he is still very much aware that young men throughout Philadelphia need a solid male role model to push them over the finish line; be it high school, technical school, college, graduate school, law school or beyond.  Although nothing is impossible, it is harder to achieve if you do not dream; it is harder to dream if you cannot visualize it.  Having a great father, or a mentor that serves as a father-figure is one important key to young men visualizing everything they can achieve and more.  

I encourage Philadelphia men to accept the challenge to be a mentor to a young man and ensure he becomes the fullest embodiment of his potential.  Join an organization committed to being the change: the Annual Father’s Day Rally, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Concerned Black Men or Kenny Gamble’s “Cradle to Career” program.  Help a young man become the dream.  


Happy Father’s Day everyone!

Blondell Reynolds Brown 
Councilwoman At-Large

 

BE A FATHER BY BEING A MENTOR
By Rev. David W. Brown
Pastor
United Methodist Church

I'm extremely blessed to be the father of two beautiful and aspiring young women. They are college-educated, career-minded and motivated. When they were growing up, I made a point to be at every practice, every rehearsal and every performance. Parent-teacher conferences were as mandatory as making the prom dates happen.

However, as a father of girls, I recognize that I still have an obligation to the countless number of young African American men and boys who simply have no father figure in their lives. Although I've mentored youth all my life as both a pastor and a businessman, I was compelled to deepen my commitment two years ago when I was invited to the White House to talk about my work in the community.

The invitation was extended by the Obama Administration when I was named a "Champion of Change" and, as a result of that honor, I participated in a panel discussion that included four other African American men -- all of whom are doing some tremendous things around the country. But, it seemed to me that while we were doing big things programmatically...but I didn't feel that there was enough personal commitment and contact with the young men to whom our efforts were directed.

So, from there, I connected with a young man who was part of my congregation in West Philly who I've known since he was a toddler. I made the promise to him and his family that I would stay committed to his goal of graduating from high school and going on to college. That was almost two years ago when he was in his sophomore year at W.B. Saul. He's now finishing his junior year and headed to the 12th grade. Despite the problems that our public schools are enduring, and the violence in our communities, we must dedicate ourselves individually and institutionally to the survival and success of our young African American men. That would be the best Father's Day gift any one could ever receive.

Rev. David W. Brown

United Methodist Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment